History of the School
In 1844 the Sisters of Mercy came to Nottingham and opened St Mary's Elementary School and St Catherine's Day and Boarding School. The schools gained a good reputation over the years and in 1951 His Majesty's Inspectors recognised the marvellous work being done at St Catherine's and granted Grammar School Status. As the numbers increased more accommodation was needed and the present building in Beechdale Road was opened in 1962 when the Bishop asked the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, generally known as the Loreto Sisters, to take over the direction of the school and continue the good work.
With the ending of the all age schools and the increasing demand for secondary places, St. Mary's became a primary school and a new school named after Bishop Dunn was opened in Kingsbury Drive in 1965. This was to provide secondary education for boys and girls to the west of Nottingham while the Loreto Convent provided a Grammar School education for girls from all over the city and county of Nottinghamshire. In 1975 the two schools amalgamated to become The Trinity School providing a comprehensive education for girls and boys from the west and north of the city stretching from Stapleford and Eastwood to Woodthorpe although pupils continue to be attracted to Trinity, from as far as sixteen miles away.
The statue of Our Lady donated to us by the Sisters in 1987 has been sited at the entrance to the Loreto building. It is a constant reminder to us of the sacrifices and effort made in the past on our behalf to establish Catholic education here for our children.
The School Badge
The School Badge, re-designed in 1988, encapsulates much of the school's tradition. The cross is derived from the Bishop's cross. The Fleur-de-lys represents the Loreto School and the Triangle the first symbol of The Trinity School. They are set in our colours of green, black, silver and gold. "Ad Dei Gloriam" our motto, ("To the Glory of God"), sums up the purpose for which we all work and means that in The Trinity School "only our best is good enough."
We seek to achieve excellence in all that we do. Trinity has achieved an outstanding reputation in academic achievement, music and sport, as well as many other areas.